As I write this, Mozart is at the animal hospital in Waterville, undergoing evaluation.
After his last vet visit, before the new year, we had seen some improvement in his appetite due to the vet’s Magic Pills. Unfortunately, he did not continue to rally, but stopped eating the vet-sent food altogether, then stopped eating chicken baby food, then refused turkey baby food…beef and ham baby food were still acceptable, but he really wasn’t interested to eating much of either. Occasionally, he would take a crunchy or two, and a sip of water. Mostly, he wanted to lie in His Corner in my office, kind of stretched on his side, with his eyes open — not sleeping, and not at all restful-seeming.
So, I made an early call, the vet said to bring him in, and so we did, braving the -8F/-22C temperatures, and the small drift of flakes out of the sky, which one set of weatherbeans seem to think is going to become a blizzard by this afternoon.
The hope at this point is that the x-rays and a repeat blood test will give us some idea of what’s going on, and if he’s in pain. He had actually gained some weight since Monday. Given that he hasn’t actually been eating that much, the vet is concerned that this is fluid retention, which might indicate something new, and not good, going on with his kidneys.
So, on hold here at the Cat Farm.