1. You have until midnight, Central Time, on Tuesday, December 31, 2013, to order your signed and personalized copy of Carousel Sun from Uncle Hugo’s Science Fiction Bookstore in Minneapolis. The devilish details are here. If you want to cut to the chase, here’s the link to Uncle Hugo’s Lee and Miller catalog page.
For the purposes of this discussion “personalized” means that you have asked the author to write something special on the title page of your book, in addition to their name.
1a. If you wish to pre-order an autographed (i.e. not personalized), you may do so at this link. The deadline for pre-ordering a signed copy is January 10, to give Uncle Hugo time to place the order, the printer to ship the books to Maine, to be autographed, and then sent on their way to Minneapolis. This is not a trivial thing we’re undertaking here, so everybody keep a grip on your good humor and I’ll endeavor to do the same.
2. The Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America, Inc. is looking for an editor for the Bulletin. Job requirements are here. You do not have to be a SFWA member to apply. Application deadline is January 8, 2014.
3. For those who have been following the on-going saga — I have, as of this afternoon, completed signing Steve and me up for health insurance through the Health Insurance Marketplace. We have achieved a Silver Plan, which provides much more coverage than we had with Anthem, while costing about $250 less per month, in premiums. There will also be a minor break in the cost of meds and doctor visits. Now, all I have to do is gather together my “proofs” for this year’s earnings and write a letter explaining (with twenty-seven eight by ten color glossy photographs, with circles and arrows…) why exactly it is that I believe we will make less money in 2014 than in 2013. Piece o’cake.
4. As many of us enter a season of gift-giving, I will take this opportunity to remind you that Books Make Wonderful Gifts! Every single novel that Sharon Lee and Steve Miller, and Sharon Lee, too, have ever written are in print at! this! moment! so you may be as expansive in your giving as you like. And remember! Those novels are also available electronically, either directly from Baen, or from your favorite electronic bookstore. Also! All of the Lee-and-Miller, and Lee, and Miller chapbooks ever written are likewise available in electronic format — from BN, from Amazon, and from Smashwords. Go to Pinbeam Books for handy buy links.
5. It has been borne in upon me that it wasn’t particularly clever to migrate all of my heavy lifting, so to speak, to my right hand. Not too many years ago, I could write, legibly, if not elegantly, with my left hand. My new hobby for 2014 will be to see if I can recapture that skill.